+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How does one prepare sufficiently for gamma radiation in a shelter etc?

Blog Entries

How does one prepare sufficiently for gamma radiation in a shelter etc?

Sorry if this information is elsewhere on this site, but can anyone give me details of how best to prepare a shelter and other requirements to survive gamma radiation and it's after effects? Alternatively, some good websites would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Blog Entries
    Gamma radiation will penetrate several feet of reinforced concrete and destroy living cells as it passes through your body. Unlike alpha and betta, which are particles that can be stopped easily, gamma is actual radiation but it's short lived. Once the initial burst has passed, the event is over and there's no further danger from it.
    The level of gamma radiation you're exposed to will determine your fate. Low levels are survivable inside the home or a basement but prolonged high levels are deadly and it can take days of agony and sickness before you succumb to it.
    If you don't have a deep shelter or a bunker, don't worry to much about it.
    Gamma will not penetrate lead shielding but it has to be about 1/2" thick and just to shield one room of your house would be extremely costly.
    If you are concerned about radiation from solar flares then we have the Earths magnetosphere that will provide a lot of protection so the levels probably won't be deadly. If it's a nuclear attack...who in the world would want to mess with Australia?

http://beprepared.com/product.asp?pn=MF T101
    I have these in my First Aid Kit.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=If it's a nuclear attack...who in the world would want to mess with Australia?[/QUOTE]

We have the US Space Base in Alice Springs! But, I am not worred about nuclear attack, the events that are predicted are enough for me to deal with!

Blog Entries
    Thank you VK, I will look into getting some Iodine pills just in case they are needed.

Hi Earth Angel. Consider a common material such as polyethylene. Nasa did.

The astronauts' shielding had to be effective, yet very light. The NASA scientists knew that materials made of hydrogen-rich molecular structures also make very good radiation shielding. One such substance is water; and during the initial design of the space station, pliable water containers, like big square-ish duffle bags, were strategically placed around the walls of the station’s work and living spaces. These containers can be unfastened, moved, and reattached with straps and Velcro into a variety of convenient positions within the space station’s various modules.

Another material rich in hydrogen is polyethylene (don’t confuse this with "polyurethane" which is a very hard shellac type-material). There are thousands of different polyethylene substances. Basic polyethylene consists of molecules that have two carbon atoms linked to four hydrogen atoms. The chemical symbol for this molecule is C2H4. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved almost 800 types of polyethylene for our everyday use.

The third-team of NASA engineers, not having any time or money to waste, could not afford to test all the available forms of polyethylene. They had to make a choice based upon common sense. They picked simple kitchen cutting boards and purchased several huge, pre-cutting-board sheets of "poly" from a local manufacturer. These massive sheets were about an inch thick (2.5 cm), thin enough, if cut down, to fit into the shuttle’s racks. From these sheets they cut squares. They then glued two squares together to form a "brick" with lap joints. Each brick measured 2" x 14" x 14" (5 x 35.5 x 35.5 cm). The bricks could interlock and straps were attached. They reasoned that the astronauts could select the number of bricks that would fit their bodies and their sleeping needs, strap them together, and still leave one side of their polyethylene cocoon open for ventilation.

When the third team presented its solution, just days after they received the assignment, the members of all the teams agreed that this was the best possible solution for each of their assignments. The "winning" team then proceeded with a testing phase and found that these "poly" blocks, christened the "Christmas Bricks," because the idea for the bricks was hatched over Christmas, would indeed provide adequate shielding, if not total protection to the astronauts during dangerous periods of solar radiation.

Blog Entries
    Thank you for the info Madwand, I shall look into it.

Contributor
    Earth Angel, forget everything you read above. It's all gibberish.

People with RH+ blood have a lot of Rhesus monkey genes in them. What this means is, they are incapable of admitting they don't know something because it represents a loss of face in front of the other monkeys. They are biologically predisposed to lie and make stuff up. If they don't know the answer to a question, it is an invitation to them to just start fabricating stuff out of thin air. 90% of the things they say are just rehashed garbage from those drain sump minds ... consisting of a bunch of mashed together rubbish from movies like ON THE BEACH, comic books about atomic energy and something somebody said to them over a beer in a bar somewhere.

None of the advice above makes any sense or is rational. It's all crap.

If your question was serious, I am going to give you a serious answer below.

----------------------------------------------------------

Gamma radiation is the most penetrating of the three types of radiation that humans need to concern themselves with. The other two are alpha and beta, both of them only really dangerous when they are ingested from particles in the air or trapped underneath clothing against the skin for a period of time.

Gamma radiation is also of the greatest concern to me. Gamma radiation from cosmic skyshine on a planet where the magnetic field has broken down or from the fallout of a nuclear weapon.

Gamma radiation has no magical powers. It isn't all-pervasive and all-penetrating. Even very high levels of gamma radiation can be blocked to sufficient levels that it is harmless with fairly ordinary means.

I will just cut'n'paste some information I posted over on the clown circus at Rob's 2012 forum, I hope it will be sufficient to clarify this subject for you. I hope you will forgive me for being so lazy, it's just this stuff gets to be a drag refuting it for the millionth time.

Remember, even as little as a meter of packed earth above you provides substantial protection even against very high levels of radiation outside. Three feet of other substances like gravel or rock will reduce extremely high radiation levels to almost nothing above microcuries internally. A little concrete (6 inches) or some steel in the mix and it would take 100,000s of rads an hour to make you sick inside a shelter. People with the most elementary knowledge of physics would be very familiar with the basic principles of radiation protection belowground.

Try to put 2 meters of shielding at a minimum above your head. 3 meters is overkill but that's what I've got at my thinnest points inside a slope.

Two meters of crushed rock and a meter of earth is literally enough shielding to protect you from a nearby supernova if you properly block up your entrances and guard against reflected radiation. Forget what they showed you in commie agitprop like ON THE BEACH, there is NO RADIATION IN THE UNIVERSE that passes through any mass unharmed. If it can hurt your body, it will be absorbed to exponential degrees by intermediate shielding because if it can hit your subcellular components it can sure as hell hit a molecule in crushed granite or solid earth.

3 Meters of shielding can provide factors in excess of 100,000 PF against radiation or even MORE. Get yourself a calculator and see how much radiation is required with that kind of shielding to even deliver enough rads to make the occupants nauseous. It's a comical, ridiculous number that is outside the realm of probability by a large measure. You might as well worry that all the matter in the universe might suddenly collapse than worry about that kind of radiation.

On the surface of the planet in a regular dwelling, you will boil inside your own skin like an egg in even modest amounts of fallout or during a solar flare/magnetic cookoff down here ... and yet just three meters inside underground shelter you are as safe as if you were in your cradle in a nursery. That's all it takes.

A meter is all you will ever need in a limited nuclear war. In a cookoff of the earth's magnetic shield, you might want two meters just to err on the side of safety. If you go to three meters of overhead cover (crushed rock is best in all regards) you will get protection factors from radiation that boggle the mind. Long after the S.E.E.D. has been turned into a charred birdbath statue topside trying to protect himself with tinfoil and Buddhist love chants, you will do quite nicely in horrific conditions just 3 meters underground. If I thought I needed more I would have gone deeper but you just don't, trust me.

Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Madwand View Post
    Hi Earth Angel. Consider a common material such as polyethylene. Nasa did.
    I simply don't understand how you could come out with something utterly crazy like this, recommending polyethlene to somebody because "they used it on the space shuttle." I would guess you did a quick Google, this was the first article you found and you came back here telling Earth Angel to "use polyethlene."

What's wrong with admitting you just don't know anything about this subject? Would that be so terrible?

Dude, they used it on the space shuttle because of limitations on weight and mass. Polyethlyene is a joke, it's just the best radiation shielding you can afford to heft into space. Astronauts come back all the time with mild radiation sickness. Earthbound people can get radiation protection a hundred thousand times superior with a stack of bricks or a shovel and some time to dig a real shelter.

I just see Earth Angel inside a cardboard box with polyethylene sheets taped to the sides in her backyard during a magnetic reversal and feel sorry for anyone who is foolish enough to listen to advice they get off this or almost any other forum about 2012. It's the blind leading the blind.

Blog Entries
    Hi Vault-Co

Thank you for the information. I was trained to question everything that is said and written, so many things I dismiss. Others lead to my own research and some make so much sense I just know them to be true.

I believe you are very knowledgeable and thank you for the information you have provided. I also appreciate your passion and interest in helping to save people from what may come. I also understand your frustration.

More via private message...

+ Reply to Thread